1/22 Photos of Pizza Dough and Sauce
Marg (CaymanDesigns)'s Note:
I make the dough with 1/2 white and 1/2 wheat flour. It gives the crust more substance and a better flavor. Even my kids and their cousins prefer it this way. I like using olive oil in both the crust and the sauce. Since we only eat one pizza for a meal, I have included two methods for freezing the second one, or you can freeze both for OAMC. NOTE: prep time does NOT include rise time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 tablespoon yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 cups flour (we prefer half white, half wheat)
- 1In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over warm water (I add a pinch of sugar) and allow to set until it begins to foam, about 5 minutes.
- 2Stir in salt, oil and half of flour. Gradually add remaining flour, mixing well.
- 3Knead 8-10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl and let rise until double (1/2-1 hour) Punch down and let rise again until double. Punch down and divide. Pat out on two pizza pans.
- 4Top with pizza sauce & toppings. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- 5Pizza Sauce: Mix all ingredients together, blending well. (You can also add a few sprinkles of garlic powder if you want).
- 6Makes enough for two 12- or14-inch pizzas or one thick 16-inch pizza.
- 7Top with meats, cheese and other toppings.
- 8To freeze, prepared pizza method: double wrap and freeze the prepared pizza (without baking it) on the pizza pan. Unwrap and bake the frozen pizza at 400Â°F for about 22 minutes.
- 9Alternative freezing method: after first punch down of dough, divide dough and place in a zip-loc bag and place in the freezer. To prepare, remove from freezer and place in a greased bowl. The dough will take about 8-10 hours to thaw and raise slightly. Pat out on grease pizza pan and proceed as directed above. I also freeze half the sauce in a small container for future use.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pizza Dough and Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (77 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 165.1
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.2 mg
- Sodium 454.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 4.0 g