Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Refrigerated pizza crusts makes this recipe easier, but you can also make this using your own pizza crust in place of the refrigerated. To save some time you can prepare the sausage/spinach filling up to a day in advance and refrigerate. When I made these I didn't shape the stuffed rolls into rings, I just left them rolled up straight and sealed the ends, that worked fine, but you can shape them into rings if desired.
Top Review by ButterflyVioletta
My sister has been making this for years and it's one of those recipes that is great for a party...heavy enough of a snack for someone who hasn't eaten, but still appetizer styled. Yum.
- 3⁄4 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 lb white button mushrooms, chopped (can use more if desired)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (300 g) package frozen chopped spinach (thawed and hand-squeezed dry)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese (can use a little more)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- salt and black pepper
- 2 (283 g) packagespillsbury refrigerated prepared pizza crust
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- prepared pizza sauce, warmed
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare a large greased baking sheet or pizza stone.
- In a skillet cook the sausage meat in oil until well browned.
- Add in the onions, garlic and chopped mushrooms; cook for about 5-6 minutes; place in a large bowl and cool slightly.
- Add in the spinach, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese and egg yolk, then season the mixture with salt and black pepper; mix to combine.
- Using a roller, roll one pizza crust into a 12 x 9-inch rectangle on a cutting board.
- Spoon HALF of the sausage/spinach mixture over the dough to within 1/2-inch of the edges, spreading out the mixture evenly.
- Starting with the longest side of rectangle, roll up jellyroll fashion, then press the seam together to seal.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
- Place the rolls seam-side down on a large pizza stone or greased baking sheet.
- Join the ends of the rolls to form a large ring, then pinch together to seal.
- Brush the dough with the egg white.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Warm pizza sauce and serve with each serving.