Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From William Davis, MD’s book, Wheat Belly Cookbook. He says, “Here’s a recipe for pizza crust that you can actually hold in your hands. That may sound like nothing special, but when we eliminate wheat from our lives, we also eliminate the unique viscoelastic properties of wheat gluten, the quality that provides wheat foods’ portability and the unique sturdiness that allows you to stuff a pita full of ingredients or hold a sandwich between your hands. In this recipe, we re-create these properties by using a plentiful quantity of cheese mixed with nonwheat flours. This confers sufficient strength to the dough to allow you to confidently eat a slice of pizza with your hands without a lapful of tomato sauce! For a classic pizza, remove the baked crust from the oven and layer with pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, and your favorite toppings. Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese melts.” Per serving: 185 calories, 9 g protein, 5 g carbohydrates, 16 g total fat, 3 g saturated fat, 2 g fiber, 153 mg sodium.
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups almonds, ground
- 1⁄4 cup garbanzo flour (chickpea flour)
- 1⁄4 cup golden flax seed, ground
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a large baking sheet by lining with parchment paper.
- Pulse the mozzarella in a food processor until it becomes granular in size.
- In a large bowl, combine the mozzarella, almonds, garbanzo bean flour, flaxseeds, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt. Stir in the eggs, oil, and water and mix thoroughly.
- Place the dough on the prepared baking sheet and lay a second sheet of parchment paper on top of the dough. Flatten with a rolling pin into a 14” round.
- Carefully remove the top layer of parchment paper. With a spoon or your hands, form a crust edge.
- Bake for 20 minutes.