Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Home made good -- easy method.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages yeast
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 6 -7 cups flour
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons oil
- Mix the yeast, sugar, salt, and flour together.
- Heat water and oil together until the heat from the bowl feels very very warm on your face when you hold it up.
- Add to the dry ingredients and beat as much as possible.
- Turn out onto a floured board and knead until smooth.
- Place in a greased bowl and let rise until doubled.
- Divide into four pieces; press each into a 16" pizza round pan.
- Add sauce and toppings.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the cheese during the last 4 to 5 minutes only of baking.
- Makes four 16" pans.
I have been looking for a good non-bread machine pizza crust and this one is the best one I've tried after about 8 attempts. Sometimes it is more of a pain to haul out the machine than to just do it by hand... and this way is quicker. I put the cheese on right away unlike the directions state because I've had great luck with baking at 425 on the bottom rack for 16-18 minutes. Pizza and cheese come out perfect golden brown. Also, do not bake your crust first as I know allot of people are tempted. I've done both ways and find that putting it all in fresh is much better!
This crust is soo good! The texture was great and the taste was delicious. I 1/4th the recipe because all I needed was 1 crust. I feared it wouldn't come out right because I quartered it. But it came out perfect and it was pretty easy to roll out and rolled up the edges to make a crust. I added olive oil to the edges the last 15 min to brown it a bit. Super crust! I'll be making this again :-)
I was looking for a recipe that made enough dough to freeze, and was happy this yielded 4 pizza crusts. I baked up one of them up now with Hawaiian Pizza, and it turned out great. I used my Kitchenaid mixer for this recipe with the dough hook. All of the ingredients fit just fine. Thank you, gran!