Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
My son got the idea for this recipe from a Robin Hood flyer. I can't believe it, but my family likes these better than pizza! The dough recipe is heavily borrowed from RecipeNut's New York-Style Pizza Crust. We use SAMS_Club's Ultimate Pizza Sauce both for the roll-ups, and for dipping. We use standard fillings inside the roll-ups: cheese blend, bacon, pepperoni - whatever you like [the flyer suggested using a slice of deli turkey, but since we didn't have any, we haven't tried this yet].
- 1 cup warm water (110-115F)
- 1 (8 g) package fast rising yeast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Stir the yeast and sugar into the warm water (110-115 degrees F) and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes. Meanwhile, measure the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Preheat oven to minimum temperature.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and knead with a dough hook for 5 minutes (you may need to add in an extra teaspoon or two of warm water to get the right consistency).
- In a deep glass or ceramic bowl, drizzle in enough olive oil to gently coat the sides and bottom. Gather the dough into a ball and roll it around the bowl to coat it with the oil. Moisten a tea towel and use it to cover the bowl. Place into the oven and turn the temperature off. Let rise for 30-40 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the SAMS_Club's Ultimate Pizza Sauce, and then the glaze by whisking together the egg, olive oil, parmesan, garlic powder, oregano and salt. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the risen dough from the oven and punch it down. Again, preheat oven to minimum temperature. Re-moisten the tea towel, use it to cover the bowl, place the bowl back in the oven and turn the temperature off. Let rise for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove the risen dough from the oven and punch it down. Preheat the oven to 425°F Flour a surface and use a rolling pin (silicone is great for no-stick and you won't have to add extra flour) to roll the dough nice and thin: 1/8". Cut rectangles (say 6" x 9"), then halve them into triangles to use for the roll-ups.
- Brush on SAMS_Club's Ultimate Pizza Sauce, then add a modest quantity of your favourite toppings. Transfer the remaining sauce to a bowl for dipping.
- Roll the triangles from the narrowest side down to the long point, and pinch the ends together to form a crescent shape. Place on the parchment lined baking sheet and brush generously with the glaze.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a nice golden brown.