Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
American Pie; Peter Reinhart
Make and share this Pizza Con Rucola recipe from Food.com.
- 1 -2 lb pizza dough, for two 9-inch pizzas (Neapolitan-Style Pizza Dough or a Neapolitan pizza dough, is recommended)
- unbleached all-purpose flour or cornmeal or semolina flour, for dusting peel
- 3 ounces full-fat mozzarella cheese or 3 ounces smoked mozzarella cheese, shredded coarsely
- 2 tomatoes, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices (or 12 cherry tomatoes, quartered)
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese or 1⁄4 cup pecorino romano cheese or 1⁄4 cup asiago cheese
- 5 large arugula leaves (to taste)
- Place a baking stone on middle shelf of oven; preheat oven to highest setting for at least 1 hour.
- *Make pizza one at a time: shape dough on floured surface; transfer it to pizza peel or inverted sheet pan that has been dusted with flour.
- Spread half of the mozzarella over the surface of the dough; distribute half the tomatoes over the cheese; sprinkle half the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano over the top.
- Carefully slide the pizza from the peel onto the baking stone; bake for 7-9 minutes.
- When pizza is done, the crust should be puffy and slightly charred on the edge and thinner in the center, and the cheese should be golden; the underside of the crust should be brown and crisp, not white and soft.
- While the pizza is baking, stack the arugula leaves, roll them up lengthwise and cut thinly crosswise to create shreds.
- Remove the finished pizza from oven and immediately sprinkle half of the arugula over the top; let pizza cool for about 3 minutes so that the arugula can begin to wilt, then serve it whole or in slices.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make the second pizza.