Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
My family really enjoys this recipe and it's a great weeknight meal. Recipe is from Rachael Ray.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 (10 ounce) package mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato sauce (I use pizza sauce)
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, sliced
- 2⁄3 cup pepperoni, sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can refrigerated biscuits, separated and cut into quarters
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In large skillet, combine the oil, onion and garlic and cook on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce and olives and bring to a simmer.
- Spread the sauce mixture in a greased 2-quart baking dish.
- Arrange the pepperoni in a single layer on top and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Top with the biscuit pieces.
- Bake until cheese is bubbly, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
This was a good weeknight, house full of kids, easy dinner to prepare. I did add some italian seasoning as some others have suggested, i could imagine the blandness of it without however, i think I shall use pizza sauce myself next time. I did however find it lacking in substance. I added olives, mushrooms and pepperoni but next time for sure i will add some ground sausage or beef. The can of biscuits I had in the fridge had somehow popped open and was no good but I did have a can of pizza dough so I just chunked that up and put that on the top, turned out better I think. I will be using this one again for when you want that pizza dinner but without the cost of take out or the time consuming deal of making my own!!
We enjoyed this Lainey! The kids gobbled it up. I made these in ramkins so everyone could have their own favorites. We all had pepperoni and sausage. I added green peppers and pineapple to mine. We all left out the mushrooms and black olives. We use my homemade pizza sauce that I had canned. Paired with a nice side salad. Thanks.
Oh wowow...this was so good, fast and easy. DS's said..."this is so good". I fried some medium hot sausage as I didn't have many pepperoni's to add. I omitted the black olives and would have put green, but DS's don't care for either. I used prepared pizza sauce instead of tomato. After topping the dish w/the cut up refrigerated biscuits, I sprinkled a bit of parmesan and italian seasoning. So good Lainey!!! Made for PRMR~