Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A delicious tasting pizza sub sandwich, w/seasoned grilled chicken breasts strips, pepperoni, and mushrooms in a pasta sauce. Extra vegetable toppings added.
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- lawry's garlic salt (Coarse Ground with Parsley)
- onion salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 (26 ounce) jarprego traditional-style pasta sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) packagesliced pepperoni, cut-up
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) cansliced black olives, drained
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 6 hoagie rolls, cut in half, but not all the way thru
- About 2 to 3 hours before grilling thechicken breasts, season the chicken with garlic salt, onion salt, and pepper.
- Start grilling the 3 chicken breasts.
- While grilling the chicken, chop the green pepper and onion; set aside.
- Cut-up the sliced pepperoni; place in a Dutch Oven or large saucepan.
- Add the mushrooms, and jar of pasta sauce to the pot.
- Keep warm on low heat, until chicken is done.
- When chicken is done gilling, cut into strips, and add to the pasta sauce in the pot.
- When heated through, divide equally among the 6 sub rolls.
- Top with the shredded mozzarella cheese, chopped onions, chopped green peppers, and sliced black olives.
- Serve immediately.
- Makes 6 sub sandwiches.
- Note: Chicken breasts were cooked on a gas grill.
Great recipe. I cheated a little and used Louis Rich Italian chicken strips instead of grilling my own. Also added some Italian turkey sausage while halving the pepperoni.