Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
A basic recipe which is good on it's own. Use your favourite cheese / seasonings. We also add some of the the typical pizza toppings ( diced - green peppers, mushrooms, onions, pineapple, pepperoni slices etc ) to the already cooked sauce, if added prior they tend to get mushy.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place rice and water in a medium saucepan, cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for approx 45 minutes.
- Remove pan from the heat, to a wire rack to cool slightly (fluff rice with a fork), while the rice is cooling: Brown beef in a large skillet,breaking up gently as it browns.
- Add the tomato sauce, pepper, oregano and garlic, adjust seasonings to your taste.
- Cover skillet and simmer 15 minutes, After the 15 minute simmering add any of your favourite diced vegetables etc to this sauce.
- To the cooled rice mix, stir in 1 Cup of the mozzarella cheese, mixing well Lightly oil a casserole dish.
- Spread about a 1/3 of the cheese& rice mixture on the bottom of the dish.
- Spread about 1/3 of the beef/ sauce mix on top of that layer.
- Repeat layers, ending with the beef/ sauce mix.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 Cup mozzarella on top of the mixture.
- Bake approx 20 minutes.
This was actually really good! And the leftovers that I froze to have for lunches were good too! This is an easy dish to make, you just need to have time for the rice to cook. I used home-made spaghetti sauce that I had in the freezer to go between the layers. Thanks for something yummy with Brown rice!
We've always made this yummy dish with white rice...I never even thought about using brown rice before! Silly me. I've also used cottage cheese in the rice mixture, and that makes it very creamy.