Recipe by peachez
A basic recipe which is good on it's own. Use your favourite cheese / seasonings. We also add some of the the typical pizza toppings ( diced - green peppers, mushrooms, onions, pineapple, pepperoni slices etc ) to the already cooked sauce, if added prior they tend to get mushy.
Top Review by TammyLee Johnson
This was actually really good! And the leftovers that I froze to have for lunches were good too! This is an easy dish to make, you just need to have time for the rice to cook. I used home-made spaghetti sauce that I had in the freezer to go between the layers. Thanks for something yummy with Brown rice!
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- olive oil, for pan & casserole dish
- 3⁄4 lb lean ground beef
- 3 cups of your favourite tomato sauce, prepared or homemade
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place rice and water in a medium saucepan, cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for approx 45 minutes.
- Remove pan from the heat, to a wire rack to cool slightly (fluff rice with a fork), while the rice is cooling: Brown beef in a large skillet,breaking up gently as it browns.
- Add the tomato sauce, pepper, oregano and garlic, adjust seasonings to your taste.
- Cover skillet and simmer 15 minutes, After the 15 minute simmering add any of your favourite diced vegetables etc to this sauce.
- To the cooled rice mix, stir in 1 Cup of the mozzarella cheese, mixing well Lightly oil a casserole dish.
- Spread about a 1/3 of the cheese& rice mixture on the bottom of the dish.
- Spread about 1/3 of the beef/ sauce mix on top of that layer.
- Repeat layers, ending with the beef/ sauce mix.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 Cup mozzarella on top of the mixture.
- Bake approx 20 minutes.