Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This dish is similar to lasagna, who knows why its called pizza casserole... but this was a FAVORITE dish of mine and my siblings growing up and to this day.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 32 ounces prego regular spaghetti sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, buttons (optional)
- 2 cups uncooked mostaccioli noodles
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Brown hamburger, drain off fat. Set aside.
- Cook noodles & drain.
- Combine: spaghetti sauce, milk and undrained mushrooms in bowl with 1 T sugar.
- In buttered 2 quart Casserole layer: 1/4 sauce, 1/2 hamburger, 1/2 noodles, cottage cheese, 1 cup cheese. Next: 1/4 sauce, rest of hamburger, rest of noodles, rest of sauce, top with remaining 2 cups cheese.
- Bake covered in 350 degree oven 45 minutes (uncover the last 10-15 mins) garnish with parsley and cherry tomatoes.
This recipe is awesome. ChefShelly made it for us when I got out of the hospital after having a baby. Tonight as I was making the recipe though I realized my only suggestion is to use a bigger pan. I used a 2 quart casserole pan and it was just to small so I put it in my 9x13 and that works much much better. Goes great with garlic bread to!
This recipe is SO bomb! There's something honestly delightful about the taste that I can't quite put my finger on. Serve with breadsticks and cold Coke!