Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
My family loves this casserole! the crust for bakes up high and tender with pizza sauce swirled through the batter, you can really use as much pizza sauce and toppings as you desired, the amounts listed are only a guideline, but the more pizza sauce you use the better this will be so don't be shy on the sauce ;-) I use Kittencal's Pizza Sauce but you can use your own favorite pizza sauce recipe for this. Make certain to completely top the crust with pepperoni or salami slices so it will hold the other ingredients on top without sinking into the crust, besides the pepperoni or salami slices you can really top this with whatever favorite pizza toppings you desire don't omit the green bell pepper, it makes this casserole! Plan ahead the crust mixture needs to chill for 1 or more hours before topping, prep time includes chilling time --- you will *love* this!
- 1 1⁄2 cups favorite pizza sauce, divided
- 30 slices pepperoni slices (or use salami, use enough slices to cover the top of the crust batter)
- 2 cups cooked sausage meat (or use ground beef)
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 large green bell pepper (seeded and chopped)
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided (can use more or less)
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 5 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon use seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- Set oven to 400 degrees (set oven rack to second-lowest position).
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- For the crust; in a bowl using an electric mixer at medium speed mix 1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour with the remaining crust ingredients except the onion until well combined (about 2 minutes).
- Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour or up to 8 hours.
- Mix in chopped onion, then pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Dollup about 1/2 cup (or more) pizza sauce over the crust, then using a knife cut in the sauce to produce a marbled effect.
- Lay the pepperoni or salami slices completely over the top of the crust batter (5 slices across and 6 rows down, don't worry they will not sink into the batter) then sprinkle with the cooked sausage meat, then bacon, then green bell pepper.
- Dollup the remaining 1 cup (oe less) pizza sauce by teaspoonfuls all over the top of the pizza, then sprinkle about 1-1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese on top (leave the rest of the cheese to add on top when the casserole is baked).
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and return to oven for a few more minutes to melt the cheese.