Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This casserole is very flavorful and loved by my whole family.
- 4 cups mini penne pasta
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce (such as Ragu Old World)
- 1 (10 ounce) jar pizza sauce (such as Ragu)
- 8 ounces fresh white mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 lb sliced pepperoni
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook penne pasta until just tender; drain well.
- Spray a deep 9X13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Press penne pasta into the prepared baking dish and set aside to cool.
- In a large frying pan, cook onion, green bell pepper and garlic in olive oil until veggies are soft.
- Add ground beef and salt and cook until beef is browned; drain if needed.
- Add spaghetti sauce and pizza sauce to the browned ground beef; mix well.
- Allow to simmer while you prepare the mushrooms.
- Wash and slice mushrooms.
- Saute mushrooms in butter until mushrooms are soft.
- Pour ground beef mixture over penne pasta.
- Top with sauteed mushrooms, shredded mozzarella cheese and pepperoni.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 30 minutes or until cheese starts to brown slightly.
- Remove from oven and serve.
Very good! My kids loved this dish. Will make more often! Thanks!
This was very good and a nice dish to make ahead of time and throw in the oven later. I will add more sauce next time and probably mix the pasta in with the meat before putting in the pan. It was a little dry. I did omit the mushrooms because I knew my family wouldn't like them.
I would really give this 10 stars; I am so impressed. It is not an overly easy recipe to prepare (so many dishes!), but since there's only two of us, I made it into 3 loaf pans and froze 2 of them. So making 3 meals at once was def. worth it! I used one 26 oz. jar of spaghetti sauce instead of a little of each, then added garlic powder and Italian seasoning to make it more pizza-like. I also left out the mushrooms entirely, used just 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef, and used hard salami in place of pepperoni because that's what I had. The final product looked like it wasn't going to be saucy enough, but all that wonderful flavor in the meat permeated all and made up for it!