I was going to make myself a Pizza Margherita tonight, then I started thinking about how I'd make it...and before I knew it, I realized I was thinking more about making an Insalata Caprese! So I thought "Hmmm...why not?" So here it is: essentially a warm Insalata Caprese on a crust!
- 12 inch prepared pizza crust, uncooked (not prebaked)
- 29.58-44.37 ml olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 236.59 ml shredded mozzarella cheese
- 453.59 g heirloom tomatoes, chopped or 453.59 g heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6-8 large basil leaves, sliced into thin shreds (chiffonade)
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml balsamic vinegar
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 226.79 g fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into rounds
- Combine chopped tomatoes, basil leaves, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Heat oven to 400* F. Spread dough out into a 12 inch round on a greased pizza pan. Combine olive oil and garlic; brush over crust. Bake at 400* F for about 10 minutes, or until just turning golden.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella over crust.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove tomato mixture from bowl, reserving liquid. Spread evenly over shredded cheese.
- Place fresh mozzarella slices over tomato mixture.
- Drizzle reserved dressing over all.
- Return to oven and bake at 400* F for 10-12 minutes or until mozzarella is melty with golden brown spots.