Recipe by Halcyon Eve
I was going to make myself a Pizza Margherita tonight, then I started thinking about how I'd make it...and before I knew it, I realized I was thinking more about making an Insalata Caprese! So I thought "Hmmm...why not?" So here it is: essentially a warm Insalata Caprese on a crust!
Top Review by anaxilea
Beautiful recipe! I made it with Bobby Flay's pizza dough recipe and hand-tossed it into a 14" pizza so it'd be a bit easier to split within my family. I did make a few changes:
- I roasted two cloves of garlic at 375 for 60 minutes with a little bit of olive oil, and then mixed a little more oil into the mash to create the spread I primed my crust with. I wanted more of a puree of garlic than chunks.
- After I took the crust out from its priming, I put half my cheese on right away, let it get nice and gooey, and then added a layer of baby spinach before putting the rest of the cheese on top.
- I used only the rind slices of the tomatoes and let them drain onto a paper towel before I tossed them with my basil and seasonings to remove excess liquid. I didn't add any olive oil or balsamic because I opted out of making the dressing. Instead, I replaced the salt with an Italian spice blend and a little fresh ground pepper.
The pizza turned out AMAZING - one of my all-time favorites! I'll definitely make this one again. :) I'll add my photo to the gallery.
- 1 (12 inch) prepared pizza crust, uncooked (not prebaked)
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb heirloom tomatoes, chopped or 1 lb heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 -8 large basil leaves, sliced into thin shreds (chiffonade)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into rounds
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine chopped tomatoes, basil leaves, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Heat oven to 400* F. Spread dough out into a 12 inch round on a greased pizza pan. Combine olive oil and garlic; brush over crust. Bake at 400* F for about 10 minutes, or until just turning golden.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella over crust.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove tomato mixture from bowl, reserving liquid. Spread evenly over shredded cheese.
- Place fresh mozzarella slices over tomato mixture.
- Drizzle reserved dressing over all.
- Return to oven and bake at 400* F for 10-12 minutes or until mozzarella is melty with golden brown spots.