I was going to make myself a Pizza Margherita tonight, then I started thinking about how I'd make it...and before I knew it, I realized I was thinking more about making an Insalata Caprese! So I thought "Hmmm...why not?" So here it is: essentially a warm Insalata Caprese on a crust!
- 1 (12 inch) prepared pizza crust, uncooked (not prebaked)
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb heirloom tomatoes, chopped or 1 lb heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 -8 large basil leaves, sliced into thin shreds (chiffonade)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into rounds
- Combine chopped tomatoes, basil leaves, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Heat oven to 400* F. Spread dough out into a 12 inch round on a greased pizza pan. Combine olive oil and garlic; brush over crust. Bake at 400* F for about 10 minutes, or until just turning golden.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella over crust.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove tomato mixture from bowl, reserving liquid. Spread evenly over shredded cheese.
- Place fresh mozzarella slices over tomato mixture.
- Drizzle reserved dressing over all.
- Return to oven and bake at 400* F for 10-12 minutes or until mozzarella is melty with golden brown spots.