1/4 Photos of Pizza Calzones - Diabetic
A very tasty pizza pocket originally from Company's Comming Diabetic cooking, easy and nice to have tucked away in the freezer for lunches. (recipe easily doubles)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces ground chicken (or beef or pork)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 large garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 cup grated zucchini (or chopped broccoli)
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (flakes)
- 3/4 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (or shredded)
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil (I use Becel oil)
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1Saute chicken, onion, garlic and zucchini in a large non stick fry pan until no pink remains in chicken and liquid is evaporated.
- 2Stir in tomato sauce, oregano, basil, pepper and chillies flakes. Heat, uncovered on low for 10 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat. Let stand to cool slightly; stir in cheeses. Set aside.
- 3Combine whole wheat flour, first amount of all purpose flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl; make a well in the centre.
- 4Combine canola oil and first amount of milk in a small bowl; add all at once to the dry ingredients; stir with a fork, just until moistened.
- 5Turn out onto a lightly floured board using second amount of all purpose flour; gently knead dough 8 to 10 times. Divide dough into 8 portions; roll each out to a 6 inch circle. Place 1/3 cup filling to one side of centre, moisten edge of dough with some of the second amount of milk. Bring unfilled side of dough over filling and press edges together with fork tines to seal well. Cut slits in top with tip of a sharp knife; place on greased baking sheet. Brush with remaining milk; bake in 400F degree oven for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown.
- 6Diabetic choices: 2 starch; 1/2 fruit & veggies; 1 1/2 protein; 1 fat & oil.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pizza Calzones - Diabetic
Serving Size: 1 (179 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 294.1
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 41.0 mg
- Sodium 684.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 16.7 g