Recipe by Timothy H.
You can make these in advance and freeze them. When ever you would like some, just take them from the freezer, heat in a oven, serve with the sauce and your all set. Kids love these as well as adults!
Top Review by StacyMD187373
This recipe is delicious, especially the crust! I used only cheese and pepperoni for the inside. Made the sauce, but had to guess that it needed 1 can of diced tomatoes, since this wasn't in the ingredient list. I used one can of Del Monte diced tomatoes with oregano, basil and garlic and it was really good. Thanks for posting; made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced thin
- 1 lb Italian sausage, cooked
- 1 cup pepperoni
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Dough: dissolve the yeast in the warm water, it should be 105°F to max 115°F until it bubbles a little about 5 minutes. (any higher it will kill the yeast.) In a large bowl, stir in the sugar,oil,salt and 1 cup flour. Add enough flour so it is easy to handle or (you can put it in a food processor). Remove dough onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Cover the dough, put in a warm place and let it rise for 5 to 10 minutes.
- For the Sauce: Add olive oil to medium heat in a sauce pan. Add garlic and crushed red pepper to the heated oil; when pepper snaps and garlic sizzles, stir in crushed tomatoes. Season with salt, pepper and Italian seasonings. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in parsley.
- Roll the dough into 4 10 inch circles. Place sauce and topping mix over half of the dough. Add 1/2 cup cheese. Fold over and crimp the edges shut.Brush the edges with melted butter or beaten egg wash. Bake at 350°F for 25 - 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with additional sauce on the side or on top.