Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 11 mins
An easy recipe that you can make up to suit your tastes. Adapted from a long-forgotten magazine.
Make and share this Pizza by the Yard recipe from Food.com.
- 16 ounces unsliced French bread
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pitted ripe olives
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 medium green sweet pepper, sliced into rings
- 1 cup shredded pizza cheese, blend
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut the French bread in half horizontally and place halves, cut side up, on a broiler pan. Broil 4 inches from heat for about 1-2 minutes or until the bread is lightly toasted. Transfer bread to cookie sheets and set aside.
- Turn off broiler and set oven temperature to 350º.
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef until thoroughly cooked. Drain off fat.
- Stir in tomato paste, green onion, olives, water, salt, oregano, and black pepper.
- Cook over medium heat until heated through. Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Top bread halves evenly with the meat mixture.
- Top with the tomato slices, green pepper slices and pizza cheese.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Wow! This was so good and so much better than any frozen I've ever had. I purchased mini french bread loaves and made each slice different. It was like having a pizza buffet without leaving home. One was pepperoni & mushroom, one was hamburger with everything, another hamburger, pepperoni, olives, mushrooms and another was sausage with mushrooms. I did use a thinly sliced shallot that I sauteed in just a touch of olive oil. Excellent idea and what a great way to end the week. Thanks for posting!