Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Meat loaf with a pizza twist
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 3⁄4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Combine onion, tomato paste, and waterin saucepan; simmer 20 minutes.
- Mix together beef, egg, bread crumbs salt & oregeno.
- Add 1/2 cup of tomato sauce mix and blend well.
- Form into loaf; place in a 10x6x2 baking dish.
- Bake @ 375 for 50 minutes.
- Pour sauce over, arrange cheese on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes longer.
this was good...but, definitely needed more flavor - spices maybe. It did stay pretty well formed though, so score 1 there, since that's my usual problem with meatloaf :-)
A very good firm meatloaf, with a lovely additional of tomatoes and melted mozzarella cheese! Good texture and taste, my meatloaf loving DD was thrilled with this great supper! Served with mash and melted butter, and recipe#336105 on the side, mmm! Thanks for a super recipe, Chefpooky! Made for PAC Spring 2009