Recipe by NancyAnne
Our German host daughter is a lovely girl. Her parents sent this recipe to me along with several others when I felt she might be craving some foods from home. The entire family loves these. The best way I can describe them is like a baked pizza hush puppy. Just fabulous! I have included both the metric and US measurements (or as close as I could figure them from the metric- I actually weigh my flour for the grams). You may need to adjust to your taste.
- 2 1⁄3 cups flour or 300 g flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder or 11 g baking powder
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or a combination) or 100 g provolone cheese (or a combination)
- 2 7⁄8 ounces bacon bits or 100 g bacon bits
- 1 (3 ounce) can French-fried onions or 85 g French-fried onions
- 1 cup Quark or 1 cup yogurt cheese or 250 g plain Greek yogurt
- 5 tablespoons milk or 75 g milk
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 450F, or 200c. Grease a large baking sheet with sides.
- Mix together well the flour and baking powder. Add the cheese, bacon, and onions to the flour mixture. Stir well to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine well the quark, oil and milk. Add to the flour mixture and stir until thoroughly combined. You might as well use your hands, because they will get involved in the next step, anyhow. :-).
- Roll the mixture into 15 balls. Place balls onto the prepared sheet.
- Bake 20 minutes. Eat when hot or warm.