Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My mom used to make this and now I make it and my husband loves it. If you set the dough out to thaw ahead of time the rest is really quick. It is nice to use the frozen bread dough because it is easy but if you feel ambitious you can make your own dough or pop some in the bread machine. Any pizza toppings could be used, mushrooms, peppers, different meats, etc. My brother likes pepperoni and I have been thinking of making a Hawaiian version.
- 2 loaves frozen white bread dough
- 1 lb ground sausage (I like hot)
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground oregano
- 2 cups pre-shredded mozzarella cheese
- Set the bread dough on a plate and loosely cover with plastic wrap so the edges won't dry out. Let it thaw out for about 4-6 hours or until it is no longer frozen. I just set it out before I leave for school. If I know I'm going to be gone for quite awhile I let it thaw in the fridge to slow down the thawing a little. It should rise up a bit.
- When your dough is looking like it is ready and has rose a bit, you should brown the sausage then drain it. Set aside.
- Next, beat your egg and oregano together for about 20 seconds with a fork. Set aside.
- Now, on a floured surface, roll out your first dough, with a rolling pin, into a rectangle--about 7 by 12 inches (give or take). Brush dough with a little less than half of the egg mixture. Then spread on half the meat and then half the cheese.
- Start on a long end of the rectangle and roll it up. It should be a long log shape, like cinnamon rolls before you slice them up. Pinch the edge and the ends shut. Brush a little bit more of the egg mixture on top of the loaf (edge side down). Set aside to rise for about 15 minutes and repeat process with the second loaf.
- Grease a cookie sheet just where you are going to set the loaf. I can usually only fit one a cookie sheet in a diagonal direction because they rise even more when they cook. Place a loaf on the greased cookie sheet and cook in preheated 325 degree oven for 15-25 minutes or until a golden brown color. Repeat for second loaf.
- Let cool a few minutes then slice it up as you serve it. Leftovers store well in a ziplock bags in the fridge. You can also make them ahead and freeze them.