Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is very tasty and adjustable. Another great way to get your daily fibre! I mention a total cooktime of 12 hours but that depends on which setting is used, HIGH or LOW.
- 1 lb dry pinto beans (I used navy beans)
- 6 cups water
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped (I've used red and orange)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup romano cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Italian spices or any herbs, you would use on your pizza
- salt and pepper
- Rinse and pick through beans.
- Soak overnight Discard soaking water and place beans in crockpot, covering with 6 cups water.
- Cook on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours or until the beans are al dente.
- Save 2 cups of the cooking water.
- Combine all ingredients (except the cheeses) and cook in crockpot for 10 to 12 hours on LOW or 5 to 6 hours on HIGH or until the beans are soft.
- Add cheeses and remove the cover.
- Cook on HIGH an additional 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir a few times.