Recipe by Dragoness
This is very tasty and adjustable. Another great way to get your daily fibre! I mention a total cooktime of 12 hours but that depends on which setting is used, HIGH or LOW.
Top Review by Tornado Ali
This recipe has great promise, but as is didn't deliver. I cooked the beans on both high and low to equal the recipe, but they were still a bit hard. They were kind of watery, maybe some tomato paste added would smooth it out and thicken them up. The mozzarella cheese was a big problem, just glumped up on the spoon as I was stirring it in. I've found that mozzarella does that, and that monterey jack will taste very similar, but will not glump up together, so I would try jack cheese instead, and more than a cup. Oh, and this made WAAAAAAYYYYYY more than six servings - more like 12-15 3/4 cup servings.
- 1 lb dry pinto beans (I used navy beans)
- 6 cups water
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped (I've used red and orange)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup romano cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Italian spices or any herbs, you would use on your pizza
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and pick through beans.
- Soak overnight Discard soaking water and place beans in crockpot, covering with 6 cups water.
- Cook on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours or until the beans are al dente.
- Save 2 cups of the cooking water.
- Combine all ingredients (except the cheeses) and cook in crockpot for 10 to 12 hours on LOW or 5 to 6 hours on HIGH or until the beans are soft.
- Add cheeses and remove the cover.
- Cook on HIGH an additional 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir a few times.