Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
An adapted recipe that was given to me by one of the teachers at the school I volunteer for. Very easy to prepare, and a nice treat for the kids.
- 1⁄2 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 (13 7/8 ounce) canrefrigerated pizza dough
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded five cheese blend
- 1⁄4 cup pizza sauce
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon barbecue seasoning
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brown sausage, drain well. Unroll pizza dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Combine the sauces.
- Roll pizza dough into a 14x12 inch rectangle.
- Spread sauce onto the pizza dough, top with cheese, sausage, onion.
- Roll up starting at 1 side, roll up completely, and cut into 16 pinwheels.
- Place cut side down into a baking pan, sprayed with cooking spray, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
This pizza monkey bread was really tasty -- loved the spicy flavor from the sausage and the combination of the bbq sauce (used Sweet Baby Ray's) and the pizza sauce. I used green onions vs. regular and if you are making this for the kids -- you could substitute a crumbled breakfast sausage if you don't feel they would like the Italian sausage. For some reason, I could not get the roll tight enough, so I baked it whole and then cut it into pieces on a pizza stone. Will definitely make this again. Made for Everyday is a Holiday tag, May, 2014.