Prep 1 hr
Cook 18 mins
American Pie; Peter Reinhart
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup sliced onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (9 inch) pizza dough (Neapolitan-style pizza dough)
- unbleached flour, for dusting
- 6 ounces smoked cheese, shredded
- fresh ground black pepper
- Put baking stone on the middle shelf of oven; preheat oven on highest setting for at least 1 hour.
- While oven is heating, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan over med-high heat.
- Add in onion; saute 4-5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Season with salt; remove from heat; let cool.
- Make 1 pizza at a time unless your peel can accommodate both pizzas.
- Flour work surface and hands; shape dough ball on counter; transfer it to flour-dusted pizza peel.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese evenly over the surface of dough; spread half of the sauteed onion on top; drizzle 1 tablespoons olive oil over the surface, spiraling it out from the center.
- Sprinkle the top with pepper to taste.
- Carefully slide the pizza from the peel onto the baking stone; bake 7-9 minutes.
- When it is done, the crust should be puffy and slightly charred on the edge and thinner in the center; the underside of the crust should be brown and crisp, not white and soft.
- Remove the finished pizza from the oven and serve it whole, or let if cool for about 2 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make the second pizza.