Prep 1 hr
Cook 18 mins
American Pie; Peter Reinhart
- 2 lbs pizza dough (enough to make two 9-inch pizzas, Neapolitan pizza dough)
- unbleached all-purpose flour, for dusting the peel (or cornmeal or semolina flour)
- 1 cup crushed tomato sauce (Crushed Tomato Sauce)
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (romano, asiago, or other dry aged cheese)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano)
- Place a baking stone on the middle shelf of the oven; preheat oven to highest setting for at least 1 hour.
- Flour work surface and hands; shape dough ball on counter; transfer it to flour-dusted pizza peel.
- Spread ½ cup of tomato sauce over the surface of the dough, leaving ¼ inch border.
- Spread half the garlic over the sauce, then top with 2 tablespoons grated cheese.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over the surface, spiraling it from the center.
- Sprinkle half the oregano over the top.
- Carefully slide the pizza from the peel onto the baking stone; bake 7-9 minutes.
- When it is done, the crust should be puffy and slightly charred on the edge and thinner in the center.
- The underside of the crust should be brown and crisp, not white and soft.
- Remove pizza from oven and serve it whole (usually 1 pizza per person). or let it cool for about 2 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make the second pizza.