Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 14 mins
Pizza Any Way You Slice It. A creation of Don Pintabona, chef at Tribeca Grill.
Make and share this Pizza Alla Don recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large firm ripe pear, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 2 (10 ounce) pizza dough, for two 12-inch pizzas
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled gorgonzola
- 4 -6 slices prosciutto, very thin slices
- *30 minutes to 1 hour before you plan to bake your pizzas, place oven rack on the lowest level and arrange a stone or tiles on top; heat oven to maximum temperature—500°.
- The Pizza: add vinegar to a small saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- Cook, swirling the pan occasionally, until the syrup is reduced and thickened and resembles honey, about 10 minutes; let cool (the syrup can be made ahead to this point).
- If it becomes too firm as it cools, simply reheat it with a few drops of water, or microwave it for 10 seconds.
- In a small skillet, heat the butter over medium heat; add the pear slices and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Place 1 ball of dough on a floured surface; press out dough, lifting it and turning it over several times, until it reaches a 12-inch circle; do not knead dough or handle more than is necessary; if dough seems too sticky, dust it lightly with flour.
- Dust a pizza peel; carefully transfer the circle of dough to the peel, reshaping as needed.
- Shake the peel once or twice to make sure the dough does not stick; if it does, lift the dough and sprinkle the peel with more flour.
- Arrange half the pears on the shaped dough; scatter half the cheese on top; drizzle with half the vinegar syrup.
- Slide pizza onto prepared baking stone (in oven); after the pizza is on the stone, do not attempt to move it until it firms up in 2-3 minutes.
- Bake for 6-7 minutes, or until the crust is browned; remove pizza from the oven and arrange the prosciutto slices on top; cut into wedges and serve immediately.
- Make a second pizza with the remaining ingredients.