Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs 20 mins
Here is our family favorite.
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans canned Italian tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 1 1⁄3 cups water, lukewarm
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 cups flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cook onion in oil until soft; add garlic and cook 2 minutes longer.
- Add undrained, sliced tomatoes and their liquid, tomato paste, oregano, basil, bay leaf, sugar, 1 Tbsp salt and dash pepper.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered 1 hour.
- Remove bay leaf before pureeing.
- For dough, dissolve yeast in lukewarm water and add oil.
- Sift together flour and 1 teaspoons salt into a bowl and add yeast mixture.
- Knead about 10 minutes.
- Divide dough in half.
- Cover each piece of dough and let rise 2 hours.
- Stretch dough into pizza pan.
- Top with sauce, mozzarella, grated Parmesan, and toppings of your choice.
- Bake at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 to 12 minutes.