Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
Little Pizza turnovers. These are similar to the Pizza Rolls in the freezer case at the market, but MUCH better! The first 6 ingredients are for the crust, the next 5 are for the filling and the oil is to deep fry. Enjoy! Try varying the filling to your own taste...
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup wam water
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup fresh ricotta
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano
- 1⁄2 cup diced smoked mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped salami
- 6 cups vegetable oil
- Sprinkle the yeast over warm water in a small bowl.
- Let stand until dissolved.
- Beat the eggs and butter at high speed until blended.
- Add the yeast, 3 cups of the flour and the salt.
- Mix until incorporated.
- Continue mixing the dough, adding small amounts of flour, until it forms a stiff dough.
- Turn out on a lightly floured surface and knead, ading flour as necessary, until smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough and let it rest at room temperature with making the filling.
- In a large bowl beat the egg until foamy.
- Add the ricotta and parmesan and mix well.
- Stir in the mozzarella and salami.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/8" thick.
- Cut 3" circles from the dough and place 1 tablespoon filling on each circle.
- Moisten the edges of the pastry and fold over to make half-moon shaped pockets.
- Press or crimp the edges of the pastry to seal.
- Place the pizettes, as they are made, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cover the completed bundles with a clean towel and set aside until slightly puffed, about 20 minutes.
- While pizettes are rising, heat the vegetable oil to a full 350 degrees.
- Gently place a few bundles at a time in the hot oil.
- Do not overcrowd the pizette as they will not brown properly.
- Fry, turning regularly, for about 4 minutes, until golden brown and all side.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.