Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an appetizer on the menu of a restaurant here in St. Louis called Aya Sofia. It's a cold bean salad, a traditional mediterranean dish. I loved it so much that I re-created it at home. The measurements are approximate, so adjust to your own taste. Time includes refrigeration.
- 15 ounces navy beans, drained
- 1⁄2 medium sized lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 roma tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sumac
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl, stirring very gently with a spoon so as not to chop up the beans. Let sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour to allow the flavors to meld.
I have had the piyaz at Aya Sofia and this recipe duplicates it perfectly. Wonderful! Thanks for sharing. (I was able to find sumac at Williams Sonoma, but before I found it I found lemon zest was a reasonable substitute.)