Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Creamy and cheesy, mild flavor but very tasty. Instead of the can of pimentos, you can cube red peppers (or green or both) and add to the potatoes and onions when they are about halfway through. A little crunch and color is nice.
- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 (4 ounce) can pimiento (small flat can)
- 1⁄2 cup grated American cheese
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- salt & pepper
- Cook potatoes and onions in boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain and place in buttered baking dish.
- Make white sauce, (melt margarine, whisk in flour for 2 minutes and then whisk in milk. Season and simmer for a minute or two.)
- Add chopped pimiento and cheese to the sauce and pour over potatoes.
- Bake until browned and bubbly, about 30 minutes at 350.
This is the same recipe my mom has been making since I was a child in the 70's. It is delicious! the only difference is she used Cheddar cheese, but I guess you can have any combination of cheeses. It's all good!