Recipe by carlinsmom
I found this recipe in a magazine somewhere years ago and only tried them recently. They are a HIT everywhere I have taken them. I don't know if they actually have any Pittsburgh ties, but my sister went to Pitt and I wrote it down just because of the name!
- 4 cups potatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups tomatoes, diced (can also use canned Italian style)
- 2 small onions, diced
- 1 cup potato water
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil potatoes with salt until firm but not overcooked (I leave the skins on mine, that's up to individual preference.
- Drain potatoes making sure to reserve the potato broth/water for sauce. Place drained potatoes into 10x13 baking dish (spray dish with pan release if desired).
- To make sauce: melt butter in pan over low heat.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Add broth and milk slowly, continuing to stir as it heats.
- Add cheese, continue to mix until all cheese is melted.
- Pour cheese sauce over cooked potatoes. If you like your potatoes cheesy you can double to sauce recipe.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes.
- Can also be made in a crockpot, on low for about 4 hours before you are ready to use them.