1 hr 30 mins
This is a beautiful sweet pastry dish from France which I've tweaked a little. The combination of the feather light puff pastry and the moist, rich marzipan centre is irresistable. I've served this straight from the oven with a little cream and cold as an afternoon treat - it's just as good either way!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Beat the bugger and sugar together until creamy and light in colour.
- 2Little by little mix in the eggs, beating well, then add the zest of the orange and the rum and beat again.
- 3Fold in the almonds and flour and pop the mixture in the fridge to chill.
- 4Meanwhile divide your pastry into two and roll into two 11 inch circles. Place one circle on greaseproof paper on a baking tray.
- 5Spread the jam on to the circle you've put on the baking tray, leaving a border of approximately an inch round the edge. Pile the almond mixture on top of the jam and spread evenly, taking care to leave the border.
- 6Beat another egg in a bowl and lightly brush the border of your circle with it. Place the other circle of pastry over the top and press the edges together to seal. Cover and pop in the fridge for an hour.
- 7Preheat an oven to 425f/220c/gas mark 7. Remove the pithiviers from the fridge and brush the top with the rest of the beaten egg you used to seal the border. Then take a knife and, starting from the centre, lightly score curved lines from the centre to the outside so you end up with a cartwheel pattern.
- 8Bake for 25-30 minutes until risen and golden brown. Dust with icing sugar and serve hot with a little cream or ice-cream, or allow to cool for a lovely tea-time treat.
Nutritional Facts for Pithiviers
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 754.3
- Calories from Fat 510
- Total Fat 56.7 g
- Saturated Fat 20.6 g
- Cholesterol 145.5 mg
- Sodium 145.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 23.8 g
- Protein 12.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of