Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I have to say, all of my life I was not a yam fan. When I met my husband (boyfriend back then) this was a tradition in his family as a holiday dish. I gave it a try and now i'm hooked. They are a must have for our holidays and just might soon be yours too. I love to eat them right along with the turkey.
- 4 large yams
- 118.29 ml butter
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 453.59 g crushed pineapple
- 473.18 ml small marshmallows
- Boil yams until not quite fork tender. Remove from water and let cool. Remove skins and slice yams lengthwise into quarter pieces. Set aside.
- Cut butter into small cubes.
- In a 9x13 baking dish spoon about 1/4 of the pineapple, 1/4 of the butter cubes, and 1/4 of the brown sugar in the bottom of the dish. Lay the slices of yams over the top. Put the rest of the butter between slices. Pour the remaining of the pineapple over the top and sprinkle the remaining brown sugar over the top. Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 30 minute Sprinkle marshmellows over the top and make an additional 10-15min. Serve hot.
This was both easy and a lot of fun to make. Everyone really loved it and I will make this again for sure. Oh instead of using cinnamon I sprinkled some pumpkin pie spice on the potatoes and again on top and it really gave it a nice flavor too.
I was pleasantly surprised by this recipe. I usually prefere my yams less sweet. But this was very easy to make and delicious!! I cooked them up the day before without the marshmallow topping. Then I reheated them and added the topping. They turned out perfect! There were no leftovers.