I love tahini sauce and pita sandwiches! I adapted this recipe slightly from one I found in Vegetarian Times.
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt or 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt, to taste
- 4 large whole wheat pita bread
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- 4 tomatoes, plum, ripe and diced
- 1 cup spinach leaves, fresh and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup alfalfa sprout
- 1 large avocado, ripe, halved, pitted, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 cucumber, diced
- In a small bowl, mix all sauce ingredients until blended.
- Slice an edge from each pita bread, and carefully open pockets.
- In a medium bowl, combine feta, tomatoes, and spinach. Add 1/4 cup of sauce, and toss gently to mix. Spoon the mixture into each pocket.
- Divide sprouts, cucumber, and avocado among the sandwiches. Drizzle each with about 1 Tbsp of tahini sauce.
- Serve right away.