Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
I usually make this on the weekend, and then snack on it all week. It is equally good with carrot and celery sticks as with pita chips.
- 3 whole wheat pita bread
- 3 large red bell peppers
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 small jalapeno, minced (adjust to taste)
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses (regular can be substituted)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh Italian parsley (flat leaf)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat Broiler.
- Cut the top and bottom 1/2" of the pepper off.
- Remove the stem carefully from the top.
- Pull the seeds and veins out of the middle of the pepper.
- Cut one side of the pepper and lay it out flat, skin side down so you can remove the remaining portion of the veins.
- Lay resulting pepper strip and the top & bottom on a cookie sheet, skin side up.
- Broil peppers 3 inches from the heat for 5 minutes until they start to get splotchy (use an upside down pan under them to get them closer if needed).
- Turn pan 180* and broil another 3-5 minutes until the skin is charred (you can tell when it starts to puff that they are ready).
- Put the peppers in a glass bowl, cover with plastic wrap for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove skin & discard.
- Reduce the oven to 200°F
- Cut the pita into eighths (pizza cutter works great).
- Place on cookie sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil.
- Saute the onion until soft, then add the garlic, cumin, and jalapeno.
- Continue to saute for 1 minute or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor (except pita) and process until smooth.
- Adjust seasoning with sea salt & black pepper.
- Serve dip with toasted pita, cover and refrigerate left-over dip.