Cook1 hr 20 mins
So easy to make your own pita pockets, and even EASIER to do it in the bread machine! Kids love these for car trips or picnics; can't help but feel adventurous with one of these in the lunch box! NOTE: If you don't have a bread machine, you can STILL make this recipe...see DIRECTIONS at the bottom. COOKING TIME includes rising time
- Place the above ingredients into the bread machine according to owner's manual specifications (mine does wet ingredients first).
- Program for DOUGH or MANUAL.
- After the program is completed, divide dough into 10 equal pieces; shape each into a smooth ball; place five on each baking sheet.
- Let rise for 20 minutes while oven preheats to 500; flatten puffy balls gently into a 6-inch disk.
- Bake for five minutes (tops will be puffed and beginning to brown).
- Cut each circle in half to form two pockets.
- Fill with your favorite sandwich fixin's: ham, turkey, chicken salad, lettuce, sprouts, cheese and grapes.
- TRADITIONAL BREAD-MAKING: In a mixing bowl, mix water, sugar and yeast; allow to foam for 3-5 minutes; add oil and salt, mixing well; mix white & wholewheat flours together in a separate bowl, then add to liquids, mixing until well-blended. Place dough-ball in a well-greased bowl, allow to rise in a warm spot until doubled in volume. Continue from Step #3 above.