Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These light, tasty Mediterranean pizzas are perfect for summertime cuisine! The basics of pita, tomato, basil, feta and garlic are the mere canvas for this tasty Grecian treat!
- 1 lb of white pita bread
- 4 -6 roma tomatoes
- 1 bunch fresh spinach
- 1 whole head of garlic
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese
- 0.125 (1/4 lb) package fresh basil
- 1 red onion (medium to large)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 lb pitted kalamata olive
- extra virgin olive oil
- fresh oregano
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 lb roasted red pepper
- 1⁄4 artichoke heart
- 1⁄4 roasted eggplant
- 1⁄4 roasted zucchini
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 lb marinated roasted mushrooms or 1⁄4-1⁄2 lb fresh roasted mushroom
- First, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Depending on number of guests will determine exact amount of pitas and ingredients.
- Figure 1-2 pizzas per person,(depending on how hungry everyone is)!
- Preparation includes: peeling/roasting garlic and onion. Chopping/washing spinach. Slicing tomatoes (1/4" thick the most).
- First, take one to two peeled garlic cloves per pita and slice into thin pieces. Place on baking sheet. Chop red onion into small, sugar cube size pieces and place on other side of baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil over both garlic and onion pieces and place in oven at 375 degrees. Check every one to two minutes until lightly browned on edges. The purpose of roasting brings out the nutty flavor of the garlic and the caramelizing of the onion.
- Place 2-3 handfuls of spinach in a microwavable bowl with a little bit of water in bottom of dish. Cook for one minute to a minute and a 1/2 until soft and dark green.
- Take small leafs off oregano sprigs and wash with fresh basil.
- Lightly brush pita breads with olive oil. Place thinly sliced roma tomatoes over entire pita. Sporadically place spinach over tomato with bits of roasted garlic and onion. Scatter pieces of oregano over pitas with artichoke hearts, roasted vegetables and kalamata olives. Add dashes of salt and pepper (capers are optional).
- Place on oven rack directly (foil on the rack below prevents food from dripping on oven directly). Check after 5-7 minutes.
- Cook until edges of pita are lightly browned.
Made this for a quick weeknight meal and it was wonderful. I used English muffins because I didn't have pita and only used eggplant this time but will definitely experiment with additional toppings when I make it again. The roasted garlic and onions add a very grown up flavor to these mini pizzas.