Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated or 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro or 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- paprika pita chips (see Paprika Pita Chips)
- In a saucepan, heat oil at medium heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric, cumin, salt and cayenne pepper and cook, while stirring, for about 5 minutes or until onion has softened. Add lentils and tomatoes. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer, stirring often, for about 20 minutes or until lentils are tender without losing their shape. Add lemon juice and stir. Let cool a little bit. (You can prepare the lentil filling in advance and put in an hermetic container. It will be good in fridge up to 2 days. Reheat before doing the remaining steps). Add cilantro and stir.
- When ready to serve, spread the filling on the pita chips.
I preferred to use this as a dip instead of filling the pita chips ahead of time....kept them from getting soggy. My lentils took about twice as long to get tender, but I don't think there was enough liquid to cook them. About halfway through I added a bit of hot water, and that seemed to do the trick. Great taste from the spice mix....Great appetizer or snack. I used it as a snack while watching football! Thanks for sharing!