The following is the baking instructions to make pitas using the dough made with Artisan Boule Bread. Now you can make delicious fresh pitas whenever you need them . . . perfect solution for a small family! The only special equipment needed is a baking stone. The Master recipe will make four pounds of dough . . . the recipe below will use 1 pound of dough, making 4 pitas.
- 1 1⁄2 cups beer, 12 oz. bottle, room temperature lager such as Budweiser (Note Water can be substituted however it will somewhat effect the flavor)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, warm approximately 100 degrees
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 6 1⁄2 cups unsifted unbleached all-purpose flour (29.25 ounces)
- Refer to Recipe #309834 for instructions to prepare the dough necessary to make the pitas.
- TO BAKE: (Dough should be refrigerated for at least 24 hours).
- Twenty minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 500 degrees with a baking stone.
- Just before baking, dust a pizza peel with flour.
- With wet hands, pull up one end of the refrigerated dough (Recipe #309834). Using a serrated knife, cut off a 1-pound, or grapefruit-size, piece of dough. (Note a 1 pound piece of dough will make 4 pitas so adjust the amount needed as necessary.)
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces (no larger than 4 ozs. each) and shape into a ball by stretching the surface of the dough around to the bottom on all four side, rotating a quarter-turn as you go.
- Place the dough on a flour-dusted pizza peel, dusting the top with flour.
- With a rolling pin, roll the dough out into rounds with a uniform thickness of 1/8 inch. This is important, because if it's too think, it may not puff.
- With a quick motion, slide the pitas from the pizza peel directly onto the preheated baking stone.
- Bake for 5 to 7 minutes, until lightly browned and puffed.
- For authentic, soft-crusted results, wrap the pitas in a clean cotton dish towel and set on a cooling rack when baking is complete.
- The pitas will deflate slightly as they cool, however the space between the crust will still be there.
- Serve with your favorite filling.
- Once cooled the pitas can be stored in a zip-lock bag.