1/1 Photo of Pita Bread Salad
My aunt makes this salad (it's also called fattoosh) and it's just delicious. It's a great make ahead dish. The cook time is for toasting the pitas and the chill time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large pita breads, each cut into eighths,each piece split in 2
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemons, zest of
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large cucumber, quartered lengthwise and sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red onion, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 ounce feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Arrange pita wedges in single layer on baking sheet.
- 3Bake 5 minutes or until lightly toasted; set aside.
- 4In small bowl stir together oil, vinegar, lemon juice, oregano, garlic, zest, sugar, salt and pepper until well combined.
- 5In large bowl combine cucumber, tomatoes, chickpeas, onion and pita wedges.
- 6Pour dressing mixture over vegetable and pita mixture until well coated.
- 7Cover and refrigerate to allow flavors to blend and bread to soften, at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- 8Serve at room temperature sprinkled with feta cheese.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pita Bread Salad
Serving Size: 1 (196 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 238.2
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 3.3 mg
- Sodium 659.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 6.7 g