Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 9 mins
This recipe is also from More Make-A-Mix Cookery and is another great recipe in which to use Whole-Wheat Hot Roll Mix.
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat hot roll mix (Whole-Wheat Hot Roll Mix)
- cornmeal or flour
- In a medium bowl, stir the yeast into the lukewarm water and allow to become frothy; beat in the oil and 2 cups hot roll mix.
- Stir in enough of the remaining mix to make a soft dough; turn out on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Clean and grease the bowl, place the dough in bowl, turning to grease all sides; cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until doubled (1 to 1 1/2 hours).
- Punch down dough, divide into 8 equal pieces, shape each into a ball.
- Cover with a towel and let rest 30 minutes; sprinkle 4 large baking sheets with cornmeal or flour; set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each ball to an 8-inch circle, not more than 1/8 inch thick.
- Arrange several inches apart on prepared baking sheets, cover with towels and allow to rise 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees, place cookie sheets on lowest oven rack for 4 to 5 minutes, moving to middle rack for 2 to 3 minutes or until puffed and delicately browned.
- Remove from baking sheets, wrap warm bread in foil or place in a plastic food bag to keep surface soft.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, the bread will keep in refrigerator for several days.
- Cut fill and eat as desired.
These were great! I used white flour instead of wheat. My oven is not the most reliable, so the first couple were a little crispy, but the flavor was awesome! I ate a whole one before dinner by myself! Made for ZWT4.
These were so cool to make! Ithink the only changes were that I used white roll mix instead, and during just the very last few mintues of baking, I took them off of the cookie sheets and placed them directly on the oven racks to try to get grill marks. Thanks so much! Made for the ZWT4