Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
I found this at the BHG website. The recipe calls for milk but I made them with water and they turned out fine. I also found that while the cooking time given was 5-7 minutes, it took mine an extra 2 minutes to brown.
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk (I used water)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups bread machine flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon bread machine yeast
- Place the ingredients in your breadmaker as follows: milk, oil, salt, sugar, flour and yeast. Or, follow the recommendations of the manufacturer.
- Select the dough cycle.
- Once the dough is made let it rest for 10 minutes. I let mine rest in the machine.
- Divide dough into 10 balls.On a floured surface, roll each ball to approximately a 6 inch circle.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet(s).
- Brush each with a little oil and cover and let rise for about 30 minutes or until slightly risen.
- Once risen lightly oil the top again.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 450 degrees for approximately 5-7 minutes(mine took an extra 2 minutes).
- The original recipe calls for the pita to be turned half way through baking, but I found this unnecessary.
- Cool on a rack.
- Makes ten pita.
I did a search to see if this recipe was already here -- and voila! :) I make this all the time. This version is for a 1-1/2 pound machine. I usually remove my dough from the bread machine for the 10 minute rest in step 3. For a whole wheat version, substitute 1-1/2 cups bread flour and 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour for the 3 cups bread flour. Thanks, Cilantro in Canada!
Outstanding! I made this recipe for Menu #24612 and everyone loved it! I made two batches. The dough it didn't raise much in the bread machine, but the bread raised while it was cooking. I used lactose free milk but otherwise kept to the recipe. The bread itself was soft and perfect like thick pita bread should be. Thank you Cilantro in Canada
Used water, was perfect!! When I put the water into the bread machine I used very warm water to activate the yeast. I wasn't sure if you have to do that, but all other recipes require it. And it turned out perfect.