Recipe by Legna
I found this stuffed in my recipe box. I'm not sure where I found it, but I decided to try this with Gyros. These were delicious! The recipe wasn't specific on the temperature of the water, & after I had all of the ingredients in the pan, I remembered that I should have used warm water (120-130 degrees F). But I goofed & used cold water. I thought I'd try it anyways & if it didn't work I'd just make another batch. But I got lucky, because it raised just fine. I also used all-purpose flour. This was my first time making pita bread, so for any of you who are new to making pitas as well, here are some tips for rolling them out. If you roll them out to 6-7 inches, they do not puff very much & you can use them like a tortilla. However, if you roll them a little smaller (some of mine just didn't want to stretch to 6 inches) & have them a little thicker (not too much) they puff up & you can cut them in half for pita pockets. For some wierd reason, this really impressed me! Note: If you use a stone pan to bake these, bake for 4 minutes & do not turn. *Prep time varies for all bread machines, so I didn't list that part. My prep time was 1 hour, 20 minutes.
Top Review by AcadiaTwo
These were very easy to make. I made a bakers dozen and unlike the other reviewer, my pitas did puff up with an air pocket inside. I served eggplant hummus as well as garlic hummus and they were a big hit with our family. Made for Spring 2014 PAC.
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast or 1 tablespoon bread machine yeast
Directions See How It's Made
- Add ingredients, in order listed.
- Select dough cycle.
- When cycle is complete, remove dough.
- Divide into 12 equal portions. Shape each portion into a ball.
- Cover with a damp towel and let rest 10 minutes.
- Grease a baking sheet. Set aside.
- On a floured surface, roll each ball of dough into 6-7 inch circles.
- Place 2 circles of dough on prepared pan.
- Bake 450 degrees, 2 minutes. Turn over and bake 2 minutes longer.
- Continue baking 2 at a time.