Prep 40 mins
Cook 5 mins
Greek Pita Bread Recipe
- Basic Steps: Proof; Mix; Knead; Rise; Portion; Rise; Bake.
- Mix yeast, sugar and 1/4 c of warm water in a small bowl. Set aside to proof yeast, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, pour in yeast mixture, then flour, olive oil and salt. With a wooden spoon mix in about 1/2 cup of the remaining warm water. Add water a tablespoon at a time as needed to make a firm dough. Knead by hand for about 8-10 minutes till smooth.
- Wipe a large bowl with a little oil, add dough and cover with plastic. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Punch down dough and knead briefly. Cut into 6 equal pieces. Roll pieces into balls, place on a cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise till doubled again, another 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Roll out each ball into a 6-7" round, taking care not to pierce dough surface (or pita won't puff).
- Place rounds on a cookie sheet, brush each generously with olive oil, and bake about 5-8 minutes till tops begin to brown and pitas puff.