1/11 Photos of Pita Bread
3 hrs 3 mins
An inexpensive recipe for pitas/pocket bread.
My Private Note
pita br ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift flour and salt together in a large bowl.
- 2Combine yeast, sugar and 1/3 cup very warm water-give a quick stir and set aside for 5 minutes to activate yeast.
- 3Make a well in the flour/salt mixture and add the yeast, 1 cup warm water and the olive oil.
- 4Gently stir to gather dough into a ball-you may need a touch more water-depending on where you live, altitude.
- 5Turn out and knead for 10 minutes.
- 6Put into a LIGHTLY greased large bowl, cover and place in a warm spot for around 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- 7Punch down and knead to smooth.
- 8Cut dough into 12 pieces, form into rounds, roll out and place on a dusted baking sheet, cover and let rest for 45 minutes.
- 9Preheat oven to 500F degrees.
- 10I use my large cast iron skillet for this part, so I place it in the oven and when really hot I place in two pitas and let bake for around 3 minutes-you can broil for 1 minute if you like, just to get the tops browned.
- 11I wrap the cooked pitas in a slightly damp tea towel for a minute or two-then cool and place in plastic bags.
- 12This process can also be done on a cooking sheet.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pita Bread
Serving Size: 1 (774 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 139.3
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 195.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 4.0 g