Recipe by javagirl81
As a kid, I remember my Mom always keeping a package of these around. They make a great substitution for your plain old sliced bread, especially when you're feeling a little creative! Try stuffing them with tuna salad, lettuce and tomato and a few pickle slices....YUM! Start them in the morning, and by lunch, you'll be all ready to go!
Top Review by Linajjac
I'm lways looking for a great pita bread recipe.. I'm done looking. This is by far best I've made to date. Every single pita puffed up! Perfect pockets! I made the recipe easier and let my bread machine do most of the work. I did need to add extra water. That was no big deal. LOVE this recipe. Thanks. :)
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 3 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour, plus more for kneading
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar in 1/4c. of warm water.
- Sift together 2 1/2c. of the flour, and the 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Form a well in the center of the flour/salt mixture, and pour in dissolved yeast, and the remaining 1c. of water.
- Mix, adding the remaining 1c. of flour as needed, until the dough leaves the side of the bowl.
- Dust your clean countertop lightly with flour, and knead for 10 - 15 minutes. Form a ball.
- Use the oil to grease a clean bowl, and place the ball of dough inside, and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let it rise in a draft-free place for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, or until it is double the original size.
- Punch down, and place on a lightly floured surface. Knead for 4 minutes, and divide into 10 - 12 equal pieces. Roll into balls, and roll out with a rolling pin.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and place each pita on top of a floured paper towel, layering them.(paper towel, pita,paper towel,pita, etc -- ).
- Preheat the oven to 475f., and let them rise for 25 minutes Bake on a cookie sheet for 6 - 10 mins., and when they have cooled for 1 minute, stack them on top of eachother to cool completely.