Recipe by Vino Girl
Pistou is the French version of pesto - there are no pine nuts and commonly the parmesan cheese is replaced with coarse salt. Use this any way you'd normally use Italian pesto! Adapted from The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen, by Donna Klein. This recipe was picked for the Freeze It recipe tag game, and I've added the OAMC instructions from Chef Mommy Needs Coffee and the OAMC Forum below.
Top Review by Enjolinfam
Wow, this was terrific pesto for such few ingredients! I doubled the recipe and we enjoyed it with some homemade bread. I've never made pesto before because I can't get any pine nuts where I am living now, but this recipe was perfect as is. Thanks for a new regualar!
- 1 cup fresh basil, packed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse salt
- black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine everything in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Alternatively, you can finely chop the basil and mix it with the other ingredients.
- Serve on bread, pasta or pizza.
- OAMC --- To freeze: Place in a quart sized freezer bag. Seal, label and freeze.
- To thaw: place in fridge overnight or place bag in a bowl of room temperature water for a few minutes.