Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Makes 6 Mini-loaves
Make and share this Pistachio Sponge Cake Recipe With Orange Syrup recipe from Food.com.
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar (or freshly squeezed lemon juice)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup pistachios, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup pistachios, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon orange rind
- Beat egg whites until frothy; add cream of tartar and beat at high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar; continue beating until stiff but not dry. Set aside.
- Beat yolks about 3 minutes or until very thick and light in color. Add remaining sugar 1 tablespoon at a time; beat until thick. Add orange juice and peel; blend until smooth.
- Thoroughly combine flour, finely chopped pistachios and salt; gently fold into egg yolk mixture until well-blended.
- Fold yolk mixture into beaten whites.
- Pour into 6 (5 3/4 x 3 1/4 x 2 1/4 inch) ungreased pans; cut through batter with spatula to remove air bubbles. Bake at 325 degrees F. 25 to 35 minutes or until cakes spring back when lightly touched.
- Immediately invert pans on wire racks; cool completely. To remove cakes, loosen around edges of pans with knife. P.
- our Orange Syrup over cakes; allow to sit until syrup is absorbed. Or, optionally frost with a Fluffy White Buttercream Icing. Garnish tops of cakes with chopped pistachios.
- Orange Syrup:.
- Combine 3/4 cup each sugar and water and 1 teaspoon orange peel; bring to boil. Simmer, uncovered, 2 minutes; cool 10 minutes. Makes 1 cup.
- Orange Buttercream Icing can be substituted for Orange Syrup. Combine 3 cups powdered sugar, 6 tablespoons softened butter, 5 tablespoons half-and-half or milk and 1 teaspoon grated orange peel. Spread about 1/4 cup over top and sides of each cake. Garnish with chopped natural California pistachios. Makes 1 3/4 cups.
- California Pistachio Commission.