Recipe by Chef mariajane
This delicious recipe is from "My Vue" by Shannon Bennett. This recipe is a little time-consuming, but so worth the effort!!
- 2 cups milk
- 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise and seeds scraped
- 7 ounces heavy cream
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 cup superfine sugar
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 1 3⁄4 ounces heavy cream
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, roughly chopped
FOR THE SOUFFLE MOLDS
- 1 ounce dark chocolate, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
FOR THE CREME PATISSIERE
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped
- 1⁄4 cup pistachio paste
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
FOR THE MERINGUE
- 4 large egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup superfine sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE CREME ANGLAISE: prepare an ice-water bath. Set aside.
- Combine milk, vanilla seeds and cream in a medium heavy bottom saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until pale and thickened. Remove milk mixture from heat, and while whisking the yolk mixture, slowly add milk. When thoroughly combined, transfer mixture back to the saucepan. Cook, stirring, until mixture coats the back of a spoon, 3-6 minutes.
- Strain mixture through a fine sieve into medium bowl set over the ice-water bath. Continue stirring until mixture has cooled. Creme Anglaise may be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- PREPARE GANACHE: Place cream in a heavy bottomed saucepan and bring to a boil. Place chocolate in a medium bowl. Pour cream over chocolate and stir until chocolate is melted. Transfer to freezer until frozen, about 1 1/2 hours. Using an ice cream scoop, evenly divide chocolate into 6 portions, place portions on a plate or small baking sheet, and return to freezer.
- PREPARE THE MOLDS: Butter six 1-cup alminum dariole molds; coat with grated chocolate. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- PREPARE CREME PATISSIERE: Combine milk, vanilla bean and seeds in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove vanilla bean and discard. Whisk in pistachion paste.
- I a large bowl, whisk together granulated sugar, egg yolks, flour and cornstarch. Slowly add a quarter of the milk mixture to the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Slowly whisk the egg mixture into the remaining milk mixture. Place saucepan over medium heat, and cook, whisking until thick and smooth, about 2 minutes. Place 1/4 cup Creme patissiere in a medium bowl, whisk until completely cooled and set aside. Reserve remaining creme patissiere for another use.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- PREPARE MERINGUE:.
- In the bowl of an electreic mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until foamy. Continue beating while slowly adding superfine sugar. Beat until shiny stiff peaks form.
- Fold half of the meringue into the creme patissiere. Continue folding in meringue in 3 batches. Spoon mixture into prepared molds filling about 3/4 full. Place 1 cube frozen ganache in the center and continue filling molds with batter until completely full. Bake until souffles rise, 6-8 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, froth creme anglaise. Divide creme anglaise evenly between 6 warm serving bowls. Invert each souffle into the center of the bowl; serve immediately.