Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Makes 60 cookies. Perfect for a holiday cookies exchange!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup natural unsalted pistachios, lightly toasted, chopped
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix flour, powdered sugar, and saslt in processor. Add butter, pistachios, egg yolk, and vanilla.
- Using on and off turns, mix until moist ball forms. Transfer dough to work surface. Divide dough in half. Form each half into 8 X 1 1/4" log (if dough is too soft, chill until firm, about 30 minutes). Wrap logs in plastic, refrigerate until firm, about 4 hours. Can be made 5 days ahead, keep chilled.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Slice logs into 1/4" rounds, rolling log every few slices to retain round shape. Place rounds on ungreased baking sheets, spacing 1" apart.
- Bake shortbreads until barely golden, about 18 minutes. Cool shortbread on baking sheets.
- Store in airthight container at room temperature.
Very nice shortbread cookie. My husband and I liked them very much. I only had roasted and salted pistachios, so I didn't add the salt to the recipe. I'll definitely make these again.