Recipe by cookie_muncher31
Tantalizing pistachio-crusted chicken with exotic flavours that'll leave everyone hungry for more! Perfect alternative to the traditional Chrsitmas turkey.
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small brown onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 pinch of pink peppercorn
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar or 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili flakes
- 1⁄3 cup chicken stock
- 2 slices of whole-grain bread
- 5 dried apricots
- 1⁄4 cup craisins
- 2 sausages
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1 cup pistachios
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 240 degrees celsius. In a frying pan over medium heat, sautée the onion and crushed galic cloves in two tablespoons of olive oil. Add half a teaspoon of salt.
- Add dried chilli flakes to the pan and continue to sautée, then add two tablespoons of palm or brown sugar.
- Crush a pinch of pink peppercorns in a mortar and pestle, then add those to the pan aswell.
- Pour in one third of a cup of chicken stock, then a little water (about three tablespoons).
- Reduce heat and cook, uncovered, until some of the water has evaporated-mixture shoul be two thirds the volume that you started with. Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, remove the skin from th chicken, wash and pat dry, then pick all over with a fork.
- To make the stuffing, chop one whole grain slice of bread (including crusts) into small pieces and add to a dry pan. Toast, then add flaked almonds and chilli flakes.Set aside.
- In the same pan, cook off the sausage meat, adding oil if you have to. Set aside with the bread and almonds.
- Roughly chop the dried apricots, and add these with the craisins to the bread and sausage.
- Wet the other slice of bread with water, and, using your hands, incorporate this into the rest of the stuffing mix. Season with salt and pepper.
- Form the stuffing into an egg shape and place in the chicken cavity. Tie the legs together with string.
- Carefully spoon the sautéed mixture over the chicken (on a tray), and massage it inches.
- Place the chicken on the lowest shelf in the oven and imediately turn the heat down to 200 degrees Celsius Cook for approximately an hour and fifteen minutes, basting throughout.
- Meanwhile, chop the shelled pistachios and almonds in a food processor until a coarse paste forms.
- Remove the chicken from the oven after cooking time and spread the paste over it. Stud with extra craisins if you like. Return to the oven, on the highest shelf, and cook for about five minutes or until the pistachio paste is crust-like.
- Rest, covered, for a few minutes befor carving. Enjoy!